1. February 21, 2013 - Happy hour/social from 5-7 p.m. at the Tiniest Bar in Texas located at 817 West 5th Street. This happy hour is being held in conjunction with the Texas Exes LGBT Network. Sponsoring our happy hour is “Matchmaker He’s For Me” who is underwriting our bar tab and who will be offering a door prize of a fabulous champagne gift basket. We hope everyone will attend as we will be introducing our new 2013 officers at this event.
2. March 1, 2013 - The Austin LGBT Bar Association is putting on a certified CLE luncheon worth 1 hour’s CLE credit at the Austin Bar Association offices located at 816 Congress Avenue, Suite 700. The title of the CLE is “The Current Texas Legislative Session – Proposed Laws Impacting the LGBT Community in Texas." This is going to be a very informative CLE presentation and we would strongly encourage everyone to attend. A vegetarian lunch will be provided. This event is open to everyone, including non-members of the LGBT bar. Please forward this information to other persons and organizations who you think might be interested in attending.
3. New Officers - We are proud to announce our newly elected officers who will begin their term on March 1st. Our new officers are
President – Daniel Ramon with Graves, Dougherty Hearon & Moody, P.C.
Vice President – Elizabeth Brenner with the Law Offices of Elizabeth Brenner
Secretary – Frederick Sultan IV with Gardere, Wynne, Sewell LLP
Treasurer – Elliot Beck with Amini & Conant, LLP
Please congratulate our new officers and thank them for volunteering their time.
4. Request for LGBT attorney essays - The American Bar Association and the National LGBT Bar Association is working on a publication titled "Out and About: The LGBT Experience in the Legal Profession." They are looking for LGBT attorneys, academics, and judicial contributors to provide an essay between 800-1200 words sharing their experiences in the legal profession. If you are interested, please note that the deadline is February 28, 2013.
5. LGBT Family Law Institute - On March 9th and 10th, the National LGBT Family Law Institute is holding a regional conference in Nashville, Tennessee. For more information about the LGBT Family Law Institute, go to www.lgbtbar.org/family-law-institute/fli-regional-meetings.
6. Hollingsworth v. Perry – Amicus Brief - The Austin LGBT Bar Association is honored to be joining an amicus brief being filed before the United States Supreme Court in the Hollingsworth v. Perry case. We will post a copy of the brief to our website and Facebook page once it is filed with the court.
7. Spread the Word! - We are still surprised to find LGBT attorneys and individuals interested in LGBT law who still have not heard about the Austin LGBT Bar Association! Please help us spread the word by forwarding this and our other notices to your friends and colleagues. Also, “like” and forward our Facebook notices and help us use social media to “get the word out” about our organization.